Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm a window you're the frame...


Good morning all,

Do you all do a lot of clothes shopping online? I get a lot of noise from my family about my online shopping because they don't understand how I can be sure if things will fit, what the return policies are, or in ebay's case, if the clothing is in good used condition (nevermind the fact that most of my family can walk into a store and wear something straight off the hanger, so they never have to worry about finding their size). Most of the time I feel like I am able to find things that fit me well based on the measurements provided or the retailer's size chart. Other times, like yesterday, I find myself wondering why I bother ordering online. See exhibit A:


Cute, right? It was a new with tags tunic, in a very lovely peacock print, which I just had to have. I went by the measurements provided and figured it would fit alright. It arrived yesterday and when I put it on it hangs like a giant potato sack. The drawstring hits me at the largest part of my stomach, and it looks far shorter below the drawstring than it does in the picture. And you know what really stinks? I can't even say it was really cheap. I paid $25 for the darn top (although it is new and originally retailed for $75, but still....) Of course I'll resell it on ebay, but it still annoys me Thanks Christy!!!. Do you all have any similar experiences? I'd love to hear about them :)

Anyway, today's outfit is an example of a successful online shopping experience. Everything but the jewelry was bought online. If I could hem I would shorten the dress just a tad, but I'm still ok with it :)


Happy Thursday!

Dress: Ebay ($6.50, July 2010)
Tank: Old Navy (2010)
Shoes: Sofft via 6pm ($40, May 2010)
Necklace and earrings: Liz Claiborne Outlet (July 2009)

9 Click here to comment :):

Christy Sews said...

Wait! Stop. I love that shirt. Please shoot me an e-mail and let me know the size. Even if I have to spend a day at my sewing machine "making it work", I absolutely cannot live without that shirt (well, I can, but I've been searching a long time for peacock print anything!). At any rate, I would love to purchase it from you. Thanks.
(beezekneesfashions@gmail.com)

Sarah R said...

I do a majority of my shopping online. I have three kids, and I rarely get an afternoon to shop without someone hanging on me whining about their feet hurt, I'm thirsty, can I have a new video game, waaaaaaah!
Besides, I know my favorite brands and designers, I know my sizes/measurements, and I very rarely get a bad egg. I've had worst luck shopping catalogs than eBay. I would say 75-80% of my dress wardrobe (I'm a dress freak) is from eBay. I also love shopping Zappos for shoes. Funny, I don't jewelry shop online; I'm not a big jewelry person although when I see most blogs, the ladies are accessorized and I never am.

ThriftyMommas said...

I have that same peacock tunic and I bought it at Macy's (online) Tommy Hilfiger I think it was or Kor's? anyhow they got it all wrong. Yes it hits at the widest part and it is sloppy on the shoulders. I cut and hemmed mine and it still look like crap and when I pulled the strings to try and give myself so definition it ripped where the waist string hole is...argh!! now it's just at the bottom of my closet somewhere. I love peacock and am always looking for something in that print. Fashion bug had some 70% off peacock print but nothing in my size....

Linda said...

I had to stop shopping online. I would buy more than I needed to get free shipping or 20% off my order. Plus I never knew if it would fit and I'm so lazy about returns. My new "rule" is to try everything on before I buy so I can't even shop at thrift stores.

K said...

Sarah-I'm happy to hear you've had such good luck shopping online. I'm definitely a dress lover as well (and almost all of my target dresses come from ebay). Are you signed up for the VIP zappos? I signed up about a year ago and it still amazes me to receive shoes just 24 hours after ordering them. Plus you can't beat the return policy :)

Thriftymomma-I know what you're saying about finding a good peacock pattern. I feel like a lot of them are a little too out there for me. I'll have to take a look at fashion bug :)

Linda-I do the same thing! It's the worst on Kohl's for me. I always want something that's $25 or so but I need $75 to get free shipping so I'll just add stuff and return it. I'm pretty good about returning stuff (although it is a hassle).

Lesa said...

I do most of my shopping online but have had some problems with Ebay recently (some similar to you) you put away your instant gratification gene and then wait, when you get it-not at all what you thought. I would have so bought that peacock top too.

I am finding I am have better luck on Etsy lately, the people seem nicer, they do alterations, lots of retro...just an idea.

The Fairy Glade said...

Hi there as a result of reading your blog I have purchased my first ever dress from an ebay seller. I am so looking forward to it arriving. If it fits, then I will be on the lookout for the rest of the accessories. Thanks for the inspiration and I absolutely love your dress and shoes today.

K said...

Lesa-I love etsy! I've bought quite a few things on there (mostly jewelry). I just got a beautiful vintage dress but it's white and sort of sheer so I need to get a white slip to go under it. I hope your ebaying gets better (I've been waiting a week for some jerk to finally pay me and I don't think they're ever going to).

Fairy Glade-Thanks so much! That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. What does the dress look like? Do you take outfit pictures? I'd love to see it, if you're comfortable with that sort of thing. I hope it fits you well and good luck accessorizing!

Sarah R said...

K...yes I am on the VIP list at Zappos, although admittedly have not bought a new pair of shoes in...I'm thinking a year. I KNOW! But I'm finishing up college, and not sure about what kind of shoe gear I will need if I end up being promoted or hired into a new department at work. So I'm not buying until I know for certain. I work from home right now, so I'm currently wearing a sundress and flip flops. Not decent hospital gear.