Monday, November 1, 2010

a post about ebay...

Hi all,

I'm wearing some extremely non-exciting clothing today (a tunic and jeans) so I thought now would be a good time to talk about ebay. Do you all use ebay? I'm assuming most people have at least heard of it, so let's start out with my personal ebay history.

During college, ebay was a vast unknown territory for me. Actually, most online shopping existed without me knowing a thing about it (granted, it was less popular 5-10 years ago). Some friends of mine would mention buying stuff on ebay, but I never thought of it as a place to search for material possessions. When I graduated from college and moved back home, I found myself with an abundance of time (and an increased waistline), and online shopping opened up a whole new world of shopping options.

It started out innocently enough. I have a thing for Dante's Inferno, and my first ebay purchase was this book:
(credit)
Today, I mostly look for clothing and shoes. Occasionally I buy jewelry, but clothing definitely makes up the bulk of my purchases. Browsing through ebay listings can be time-consuming, so here are the two main ways I go about my "normal" ebay searching...

Brand Names
Knowing what brand you're looking for makes searching on ebay so much easier! My favorites include Anna Scholz, Ann Taylor (if you search on Ann Taylor the Loft options will also come up), Lane Bryant, CAbi, Alfani, Kiyonna, Merona, and Igigi. I almost always type in a brand name followed by my size. Which leads me to...

Sizes
There are a few ways to look for sizes on ebay. There are the regular sizes, and the plus sizes. Usually I'll just look in regular and plus sizes, because quite often sellers don't put my size(s) as a plus size, or vice versa. So in other words, I just type in the brand and my size in the search bar, and I'll look at all of the results that come up.

There are a few times that I've gotten lucky. About a month ago I looked for a dress in my size, without any brand name, and I ended up with a beautiful $200+ silk Anna Scholz dress for $35 (I haven't worn it yet). Another time I was looking at CAbi items and I found a cardigan with a "best offer" price, and got it for a fraction of the original asking price.

Below is a photo round-up of some of my favorite ebay purchases. Do you all have any ebay stories or tips?
(clock-wise from the top left: INC dress, brown boots, CAbi fern dress, CAbi bird cardigan, CAbi floral dress, INC rose skirt)

4 Click here to comment :):

thriftymomma said...

Getting my pen.....jotting down notes..my favorite purchase on ebay so far has been my Kaya harness boots. Thanks for entering my giveaway:)

K said...

Hah I'm afraid I'm not very prolific when it comes to ebay. If you ever want to know anything else feel free to ask me :) I can't wait for you to announce the winner!

Lesa said...

I both buy and sell on Ebay. As a seller it is a VERY slow time right now, so you might find some great deals. A piece of advice, don't go by the size stated, ask for measurements, the item may have been mis sized or worn and washed and the size stated may be incorrect.

Also, don't forget Etsy, my go to place for unusual jewelry and Christmas presents.

My favorite Ebay purchase, a pair of brown boots, no great brand name, but I wear them every winter (ha, here in South Florida).

K said...

Lesa-Thanks for the info! I sell on ebay too, and I've been having far fewer bids than normal. I didn't realize it's a slow time. Good point about the measurements; I totally agree with you.

Etsy is great :) I've gotten a couple great vintage dresses on there, and of course a ton of jewelry.

Boots didn't exist to me when I lived in FL. Now I can't live without them :) TTYL!