Monday, December 6, 2010

Jeans on a Monday


Good freezing morning all,

Today didn't start out well. My alarm didn't go off, and I woke up about an hour late. Somehow I still made it to work relatively on-time, but my cute skirt outfit got put on the back burner. 

These jeans actually used to be one of my favorite pairs (the flirt, tall, from Old Navy). Now I'm not sure I like the whisker details on the thighs and the way they hit me at the widest point of my hips. Not to mention how they're slim through the top, where I carry most of my weight. On a positive note, I still feel like my legs look miles long in them.

Remember when very low-slung jeans were hip? Ok, maybe they still are, but when I was in college I wore the hell out of that style. My mom would always try to discourage me, telling me how unflattering they are and how they're far too low in the back. And I would smirk at her in the way that only a 20 something would to her own mother, and tell her she didn't know what was hip and in-style. I mean, the jeans were so low they cut off half my butt. In my mind, how could that not be flattering? I was always looking for ways to make my ample rear look, well, less ample. And I was steadfast in those thoughts for many years, never thinking I would change my mind. Nowadays I totally agree with my mom. Being so low that my butt cannot be contained is no longer a good thing. I'm not quite ready for mom-jeans, but I'll take my higher cut Calvin Kleins any day.


How do you know when you've outgrown your old favorites? 

Purple sweater: Macy's ($25ish, December 2008)
Jeans: Old Navy
Black boots: Van Eli vai DSW ($30, October 2009)
Turquoise necklace: Etsy ($25, December 2008)
Black coat: Old Navy ($50, November 2010)
Peacock scarf: Torrid ($4.50, June 2010)

5 Click here to comment :):

Joy said...

I think those jeans look good on you. I love Old Navy jeans. I found some new jeans at Kohl's other day, though, and they are my new faves.

That purple is a good color for you!!

Allison said...

I agree - they look great. I used to wear low rise as well, and spent all day pulling them up or fussing over how they fit! Mid-rise all the way.

Linda said...

I still prefer low rise jeans. High rises look like the dreaded mom jean on. Low rise is much more flattering on me. I do wear longer tops so they cover any extra skin though!
I like those jeans. I have a similar pair!

ThriftyMomma said...

Love Old navy but the tall is so tall...I'm 5 10 and the tall is long on me. I do like how they make your legs look like they go on for days though. Love your winter trench!

K said...

Thanks Joy! I haven't looked for jeans at Kohl's in quite a while..I might have to go check them out again :)

Thank you Allison! Every time I got up from my chair I had to adjust the jeans..It's amusing that they're so tight when I put them on and by the end of the day they're baggy.

Linda-I think I'm getting comfortable with a mid-rise. Hopefully after that they'll start making a high mid-rise instead of throwing me into mom jean territory :)

Thanks W! Old Navy jeans fit me differently from pair to pair. I'm 5'9 and their long style used to be perfect for me to wear in flats (the jeans I have on are an older pair). Then they started to get longer (or I shrank) and they worked with boots. Now if I try on a long pair they have an extra foot of fabric at the bottom! And don't get me started on their "tall" style. They should just rename it amazon length.