Tuesday, December 28, 2010

not just another Tuesday


Hi all,

How is everyone's day going so far? We're still dealing with a lot of wind, but no snow or rain so I'm happy. Tonight D is taking me out for my "I'm still under 30" birthday, and I'm looking forward to some famous white pizza.

Today I'm wearing another small print dress. Yesterday's anonymous commenter said that they make me look "2x fatter", among other things. It's the first truly negative comment I've received on the blog so far, and I'm sure it won't be the last. And you know what? I don't care quite as much as I thought I would about it. It's taken me a very long time to come around to this way of thinking, but it really is a revolutionary thought: I dress for myself. I wear clothes that make me feel good. If other people think they look good on me, then great. I appreciate all of the lovely comments people have left on here. If they don't like my clothing choices, well, that's just too bad. If you have constructive criticism, I'm all ears. But I am a fat, pale, broad-foreheaded lady (how's that for bad grammar?), and I'm not trying to hide anything. Do I wear things that I find flattering? Absolutely. But I'm not going to avoid small prints, get bangs, and wear lipstick all for the sake of "looking thinner". That's not what I'm going for. My goal is to feel good about the way I dress my body at whatever shape or size it is, not with the ultimate goal of looking thinner.


Anyway, how about some details? Happy Tuesday!
Dress: Ebay ($14, June 2010)
Tank: Old Navy
Tights: Chadwick's (.86 cents, November 2009)
Boots: Vigotti via 6pm ($19.95, May 2010)
Necklace: Stella & Dot via Craigslist ($34.50, April 2010)

12 Click here to comment :):

Work With What You've Got said...

So weird. I love small print dresses on you. Haters gonna hate though! Good for you for not caring. And I love the pop of green here.

Sarah R said...

You go K! I saw that comment and didn't even know what to say. Especially since they were anon...ooooh, how brave of them to criticize and not want any feedbck themselves. I think you look lovely. And duh, it's winter and of course you're pale. That tends to happen. *slaps forehead*

Bombshell Beauty said...

Love your attitude; I feel exactly the same way. I'm not thin...so what's the point in trying to dress to look thinner? You look great!

asiunia said...

Hello,
at the beginning I have to admit that my english is not to good, so don't look at my grammar and other mistakes.

I'm watching Your blog for a while ane have even put the link to it in my xxl section (hope You don't mind?). I saw the comment You where writting about and then the reaction of You and other people. I'm surprised. I have an xl blog too and the comments I get here are awefull. People in Poland hates others who has big sizes. Your blog readers are writing about the nice things in Your outfits and don't say anything about Your mistakes or when sometimes smth looks bad on You. I know that my outfits are sometimes ok and sometimes not ok (nobody is perfect). The most comments in my blog are laughing out what I have done wrong. I wish I had readers like You have, that gives You support and let You think that You look always special.

And maybe fat is not a good description but somehow its true. I know that I should not wear small prints. But big prints on big persons can cause miracles :)
Maybe someone wanted to give You a goog advice?

On my blog I often read advices that I should loose weight or throw 9/10 my clothes away :)

I hope I could be understood. Have a nice day :)

Linda said...

I love your attitude. Dress for yourself and ignore everyone else. I love that dress and you totally rock it!

Lynn W said...

Before I even read your post today I was thinking about how much I love this dress. It really glides over the problems areas and highlights the good areas. It's a very flattering fit.

Joy said...

Great attitude! I don't allow anonymous posts. If someone has something to say, they need to have the guts to stand behind it.

I like this dress and I like your new hair color, too!!

V said...

I love this dress - green, navy, and white is one of my fav color combos.

K said...

Hey all-I just wanted to take a moment and say thanks for all of your positive comments. I really appreciate that anyone takes the time to read this blog in the first place, and I love hearing back from everyone. So, thank you all so very much.

Joy, I didn't know you could disable anonymous comments. I'm going to look into that, so thanks for the info.

Asiunia-First off, I don't mind your grammatical errors. I think it's great that you're taking the time to comment on a blog that isn't even in your native language. And of course I don't mind that you linked to my blog. What I do mind is when people get on the internet and say nasty things to other people that they don't know, and then call themselves anonymous. Perhaps something got lost in the anonymous person's translation, but to me it came across as negative and unwarranted. I'm sorry that the people of Poland aren't fat friendly, and kudos to you for putting up a blog and dealing with their comments. But try to keep in mind that you don't have to listen to the negative reactions. It's one thing to ask for outfit advice, but it's another issue for some random commenter to sit there and offer "improvements" to someone's outfit choices or make fun of someone's body type. As for thinking that big women can't look good in small prints, I call bullshit on that. Small prints can look great on any body type. And if someone disagrees, then who cares? If you think you look good, then nothing else matters. If you don't think you look good in small prints then hey, avoid them. But if you're avoiding them just because someone else deemed them unwearable for fatties, then you might have more issues. All I'm saying is, wear what you want and what feels good for you, and no one else.

asiunia said...

Hey K,
thank You for all this nice and wise words. I hope more people from my country would think like You. Sometimes its easy to say "if You think that its ok, so its ok". If You buy a dress, which You love then it takes a lot selfconfidence to think it looks great on You when daily You get 10 comments that its awfull. You know what I mean? I'm trying not to listen to them. Firstly I blocked the possibility to write comments by anonymous. People who had to write they nicknames are not so brave to say all this mean things :)

Iris said...

Wow I completely disagree with the anonymous commenter, I think you look fantastic! It's great that you are so confident :)

K said...

Asiunia-I definitely know what you mean-it is easier said than done. I'm also thankful that I haven't had to deal with people being very negative about my style, at least through comments. That would make it much more difficult.

Iris-Thank you! This blog has really helped me see build a better sense of style, which in turn makes me feel much more confident. Of course the positive comments don't hurt. Hopefully it will continue :)