Thursday, April 14, 2011

to keep or return


 Good evening everyone,

Yesterday I had a lively conversation with one of my coworkers about a dress she had bought. It's a fancy dress (although I argue that it could be dressed down with a cardigan/belt) and she paid $60 for it, and now she's agonizing over whether or not she wants to return it. Normally I would tell her to return it if she was that worried about it, but she said that she felt absolutely stunning in the dress. So of course that made me change over to team "keep the dress." She's petite and nothing ever fits her right off the hanger, and the fact that this dress did makes it work the $60 to me. Also, I'm 100% sure she looks totally adorable in it. 


All of this is to say that today I wore one of my very first "splurge" dresses to show her that she should totally keep the dress she bought. 

I saw this dress a looooooong time ago on Vanessa's blog and despite never having heard of the brand I immediately bought the first one I saw in my size on ebay. And I don't regret it at all. Then again I've spent well over $50 on other dresses since then, but this is still my first :) 

(credit)
Do you all have any splurge tales? Tell me about them!

Dress: CAbi via Ebay ($46ish, 2008)
Red tank: Kohl's (years ago)
Shoes: DSW (2010)
Necklace: JewelMint via Groupon ($12.50, April 2011)

3 Click here to comment :):

Linda said...

I once paid $60 for a pair of fabulous red pants. I never bought red pants previously or since but I loved them. I wore the heck out them! I also paid full price for my Frye boots and never regretted for a minute.
If you love it buy it. If not you'll regret it.

Natalie said...

I just recently splurged on two items. I'm usually incredibly thrifty, but I just went for it!! The two items are (1) a pair of Tory Burch wedges and (2) a pair of monogrammed Stephen Bonannos!

Sarah R said...

I am notoriously cheap. No, CHEEEEEP as my kids say. I have coupons stashed in my purse at all times. Anyway, while I tend to buy only discounted stuff or peruse thrift stores, I did pay full price for a swimsuit at Avenue recently (about $60.) In my defense, I live in Florida and spend so much time at the beach that cost per wear will eventually be pennies. I also recently spent $175 (which $25 was the tip) on having my crazy hair shaped, styled and colored professionally. I almost cried when I paid for that one, but it's been a month and I still love my hair. (I spent $5.99 on an animal print dress I found at Goodwill. I feel better now.)