Saturday, August 27, 2011

slow progress

Hi all,

It's been a crazy week. I experienced my first earthquake (aftershocks, really), which was no fun. I was reading in bed when the house started to jump up and down. Then in my haste to throw myself from the bed into the wheelchair I used my bad leg, which caused me to see stars for a second.

So yeah, I'm still not walking. I had another appointment this past Wednesday, where I found that instead of being partial weight bearing for 2 weeks like the surgeon originally said I'll be partial weight bearing for a whole month. I'm told this is normal, but I wept like a baby at that news. I understand that my leg will get stronger as I put more weight on it, but it's not easy. It's painful, and if I put too much weight on it there is a chance that the metal rod will snap and I'll have to start all over again. Depressing thought, yes? So I go for another appointment at the end of September, where they'll hopefully tell me I can start putting my full weight on it again. Have I mentioned that it's been over a month since I've taken a real shower?

And just for icing on the cake-we're dealing with a hurricane. Thankfully we aren't directly in the path of Irene, but we're anticipating power outages, high wind gusts, and torrential rain. Normally I wouldn't be too worried (thanks Florida), but since I can't walk I'm pretty anxious to have it come and go already. Anyway, we've stocked up on the essentials, the cooler is packed, and we have our candles/flashlights/reading materials ready to go.

I feel like a bad news bear. And I won't lie-I'm depressed about the whole situation. But work is still giving me stuff to do from home, my boyfriend is being amazing, and my family has been very supportive. It could be much worse. But sometimes it's easy for me to lose sight of the better things that are going on.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

5 Click here to comment :):

Sarah R said...

I was hoping you were doing ok. When you're so independent, this kind of thing can really get you down. Be certain to listen to the doctor, because you really don't want to be permanently disabled from this!

Lynn W said...

Sorry things aren't going as well as you expected with your leg. I'm sure that shower is getting to be the one thing you want most! Hopefully giving it the extra weeks of rest will let it recover better in the long run.

Lazy Madonna said...

Have just caught up with your news. Sorry to hear about the broken leg and also my sincere sympathies for the loss of your grandmother.

Lesa said...

I am so sorry for your recent bad news.It seems like it always comes in waves, never just one thing to deal with.

As for the hurricane, I am an expert, living in South Florida since 1968. The news people are always acting as though every storm is bearing right down on us. The kids hope the wind gets high and then the buses won't run, everyone runs out and gets food and batteries and clears out Home Depot.
My neighbors see me as kind of an expert. They wait for me to start putting the shutters up (a horrifyingly hard experience that leaves you bleeding wth no fingernails) before they do theirs. When the shutters are up your house is pitch black dark, about a 100 degrees and raging humidity. The scariest one was Andrew when we lived less than a mile from the beach, the police came by and knocked on each door individually and told us that if we didn't evacuate don't bother calling them, they weren't comng-needless to say we evacuated 10 miles inland. Rita and Wilma were hard too. Katrina was just a baby when it hit us.
My expert advice get a lot of ice, cook all your meat, get lanterns, ice packs if you get pressure headaches and ask me if the shutters go up.

But don't worry too much we usually stand in the way to protect you. xo

Sarah R said...

Hey, you haven't logged in, in forever! Please let us know how you're doing.