Thursday, October 6, 2011

finally, an update!

Hi all,

I figured it's about time to write a leg update. I went back to the doctor on the 21st of August, and we finally saw some bone growth in the x-rays. I've been cleared to bear full weight on my bad leg, and I have to wear a cushioned boot while I'm "walking" for the next month. In reality I'm not walking as much as shuffling. I still have to use the walker in the morning because my leg muscles are so stiff (but at least they're coming back). At my best, I can shuffle around without the crutches or the walker while wearing the boot. But not for any great distance.

Some days I feel better than others, but I guess that's the case with anyone. My leg gets very sore after I do any "walking" and I can feel the screws that they put into my ankle. I know it's vain, but my legs used to be my favorite body part. Now I'm trying to deal with the fact that I'll have four very visible scars for the rest of my life.

As far as the blog goes, I plan on updating with pictures once I go back to work. Believe it or not I'm going back to work this Monday (no, we don't have off). So I'll finally  have a reason to get dressed. Part of me is excited but more of me is anxious about the whole thing. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Hope you all are doing well.

6 Click here to comment :):

Natalie said...

Good luck with returning to work!!

Linda said...

Glad to hear you are up and shuffling around.

Lynn W said...

Welcome back. I can understand you being upset about the scars, but hopefully with time they will fade. I think it's natural to be sad about that. I have a friend with screws in her ankle and she's gotten to the point where she hardly notices them except on really cold days.

Sarah R said...

I'm glad to see your update! You're making great progress. And if anything else, your legs will still be your favorite, because they've been through hell and still work!

Jessica said...

Glad to hear you are getting better and healing!

Scars are a great conversation starter. Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed. I have two on my knee from ACL surgery. They are quite large. You wouldn't believe the conversations that they start. ;)

V said...

So glad to hear that you are recovering! Can't wait to see your outfits! Take your time and take it slow :)